In class, we have talked about the ties between vegetarianism and religion. In our society, I think we tend to value people who are self-sacrificing. We see it as noble, even though it can be a bad thing. This probably stems from religion (martyrs, Jesus' death, etc). I don't know much about religion, but I was raised Catholic and I know that in church, everywhere you look, there is a depiction of Jesus on the cross. Dying for a cause can sometimes be a very noble and brave thing to do, but I take issue with our culture's glamorization of self-sacrificing. People who are constantly sacrificing their own happiness for others are unhappy, and nobody should have to live that way. I think this might tie back to vegetarianism, because for many people, giving up meat is a sacrifice. More extremely, starvation is a sacrifice many people make for religious or spiritual reasons. Though I am not suggesting there is a direct link between eating disorders and vegetarianism, I think that this element of sacrifice is present in both. Having the "strength" to give up types of food, or food in general, is seen as heroic and respectable. There is a book (which I have not yet read) called "Women, Food, and God", which argues that the way women eat can be traced back to their relationship with religion/God. I think this is interesting, and I think the way we value sacrifice in our society could have something to do with this.
Question: Other than the religious implications, why do we value sacrifice so much?
I will answer your question.
ReplyDelete