Wednesday, December 15, 2010
A Consumer's Responsibility?
Today in class we discussed the fact that when you buy animal products, you are supporting a corrupt industry. Nobody wants to fund something that they believe to be immoral, whether it is animal or human exploitation, but is it the consumer's responsibility, or the industry's? I wonder if we are placing too much moral responsibility on the consumer. To be sure, consumers have a responsibility both to themselves and to society to be informed about their economic choices. But, as we have discussed in class, not everybody has complete autonomy over their options for where they shop, what they eat, and what they buy. Therefore, while I believe that consumers should definitely assume some responsibility for what they are putting their money into, I think we need to hold the corporations that we are opposed to primarily responsible. Supporting something immoral is obviously not good, but being immoral is the real problem. I think we spend a lot of time focusing on how to get people to stop indirectly supporting these corrupt systems, when we should also be challenging the systems themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment