Saturday, October 23, 2010

Response to Shelby's "For Whom is Vegetarianism Morally Obligatory?"

Shelby argues that most people in developed countries could afford a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle if they sacrificed other "luxuries". Shelby also argues that food should be a top priority for humans, even more important than shelter. What do you consider a "luxury"? I don't think it's ethical to tell people, including poor people, how to spend their money. I can agree with you that food is very important, but it's not fair to expect everyone to feel the same way. If a poor family decides to spend money on Christmas presents for their children to make them happy instead of high quality food for a few months, then that is their choice. I personally don't know what it's like to live in poverty so I don't feel like I have the right to say what should be the top priority for a poor person, since I have never lived it.
Furthermore, as we briefly discussed in class, one must have access to knowledge about food, health, and the meat industry to make these informed decisions about their diet. So, even if people in poverty were making food a top priority, they still might not be able to maintain a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. These disadvantages are much more than "inconveniences".

Question: Why have people stopped spending as much money on food?

No comments:

Post a Comment