Thursday, September 16, 2010
Response to Kim (Pets)
Kim asked if it is morally acceptable to own a pet. I haven't read Cavelieri's piece yet, but I do not think it is morally acceptable to own a pet. Using an animal for food or clothing is usually done in an unethical way, but at least there is a logical motivation for doing these things (obviously we don't need animals to eat or wear clothes, but all I am arguing here is that we are using animals for basic human necessities). However, animals used as pets are being taken out of their natural environment and lifestyle to keep humans company. The domestication of animals is/was unethical because, as Kim said, it is a major interference with their lives, and the reason for doing this is not justifiable. With that being said, I would be open to an argument saying that companionship is a basic human necessity, and it is ethical to use animals to suit this need of ours. I would probably argue, though, that while companionship is necessary to humans, we don't need animals to be our companions, though I'm sure that for some people, animals are all they have. Is the need for companionship a good justification for the domestication of animals?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have responded to your post.
ReplyDeleteI responded to your post as well.
ReplyDelete